The Triple Aim in Healthcare by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement has had a significant effect on how hospitals and other healthcare entities define their mission and their responsibility to the community at large.The three prongs of the Triple Aim are:
- 1) Improved population health
- 2) Enhanced patient experience of care
- 3) Reduced per capita cost of care
With this in mind, we understand that your job as an Infection Preventionist now goes beyond the confines of your institution's campus and involves engaging with community members to develop and promote policies, procedures, and practices that will help improve population health as a whole. Of primary importance is that of emphasizing proper hand hygiene.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says hand washing is like a "do-it-yourself" vaccine.In addition, this Huffington Post article describes the proper hand-washing technique quite well.
Barriers To Effective Hand-Associated Infection Prevention
Here are three of the barriers to effective hand hygiene and protection that need to be addressed in order to drive real change in community infection prevention.
Not enough time
Workers may feel that there is a trade-off between performing their job safely and performing the job quickly. Consequently, they may see hand hygiene practices such as hand washing, or frequent glove changes as being too time-consuming. Moisture and sweat buildup can make it difficult to quickly don and doff disposable gloves. This may cause workers to change gloves less frequently or to skip hand protection altogether.
Frequent hand washing, particularly with harsh chemicals, can cause hand dryness and irritation. Consequently, workers may be more likely to reduce the frequency of hand washing. Others may not want to wear hand protection due to skin sensitivities to glove components or because extended wear can cause excessive moisture, irritating the skin.
Poor quality and fit
It is important to match the hand protection to the task. Improper fit can make a task more difficult or may result in hand fatigue. Poor quality gloves that constantly tear and cannot withstand repetitive hand movements will result in unnecessary waste and ultimately thwart workplace health and safety initiatives.
Overcoming the Barriers
Our medical grade gloves include:
- • The Ventyv™ Elephant, a Nitrile Powder-Free Plus 3.5 glove which is strong and easy to put on and take off, with a wide application of clinical settings, making it a favorite of healthcare workers.
- • The Ventyv™ Kangaroo, a Nitrile Powder-Free Plus 5.0 glove with outstanding barrier protection
- • The Ventyv™ Octopus, a Nitrile Powder-Free Select 3.5 glove with excellent comfort and grip
- • The Ventyv™ Walrus, a Nitrile Powder-Free Select 3.0 our lightest weight glove with a natural fit that allows for freedom of movement
- • The Ventyv™ Penguin, a Nitrile Powder-Free Plus WHITE 3.5 glove when a white color is more preferable
- • Ventyv™ Polymed® our powder-free, multi-layered latex exam glove for when latex sensitivity is not an issue and the fit and feel of latex is desired.
Ventyv™ is an international company with a global market presence that is serious about life preservation and dedicated to saving lives one glove at a time. For more information contact us hereor call us at 1.888.4Ventyv.Read More